How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total populace, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with numerous health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The value of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new studies coming out regularly. These health issues can be avoided and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very compelling point. But that expense can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your pre-owned hearing aid can make an enormous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can simply give us a call.